Book Review: Not the End of the World
09:00:00Hey guys,
Another book review for you! Seeing as I do English Literature at Uni I was thinking I could do a mini review every Friday about one of the books I've read for my course? Let me know if you'd like that!
I must admit that when I found out we were doing a children's book I was skeptical, however, after reading it, I think this might now be one of the my top 10 favourite books. In fact, I loved it so much that I read it in one go, 174 pages and I read it in one sitting it was that good.
Not the End of the World by Geraldine McCaughrean offers an interesting and exciting look at Noah and the Ark from a point of view we've never had before. A young girl. We're given a look at one of the most known tales from a voice that is often unheard, one a girl, and two a child. We get to see what life is like inside of the Ark and we get to know the characters. Considering this is a children's book you'd expect it to be lighthearted and fun, but quite a few times when I was reading this I thought to myself 'How can this be a children's book?'. It's the story of the flood like you've never heard it before. This reworking of the classic tale is dark and challenging to modern audiences.
It represents Noah and his family in a way that I would have never previously thought of them and brings to light the realities of what life on the ark would have really been like. There's murder, forced marriage, kidnapping and much more. It really makes you think about humanity as a whole and whether we can truly escape sin or if it's just a part of human nature.
It shows what must be done for Noah to fulfil God's design of a new world without sin, that Noah must ignore the pleading cries from the drowning people who spot the boat. It shows the dirt and filth that would have filled the boat and the starvation that would have come with being stuck on a boat for so long. After all, if the animals don't reproduce quickly enough and there food runs out then what are they meant to do?
The story is made more challenging due to the religious strength of Noah and Shem who almost forget their own humanity whilst trying to save it. They don't allow people on their own boat and almost go as far as killing their daughter/sister when they believe she has been possessed by a demon.
Timna is loyal but still questions the motives of her father who is following Gods plans, therefore, ultimately questioning God himself. At the end we are left with Timna who sails off to find a land separate from her parents in order to live. She must leave behind the men who hold power over her and her own religious beliefs in order to grow, sending a huge and powerful message to the reader.
I know this is a children's book but I really believe that this is a story for all ages and that you should definitely read it. I can't recommend it enough. It's a completely different take on a well known tale that will really make you think.
Holly x


0 comments